Below are the approved minutes from the Board Meeting held on October 27, 2016.
Board of Directors Meeting
Hunter’s Ridge Owners Association, Inc.
Date: October 27, 2016
Location: Kingdom Management office
- Call to Order, Roll Call of Board Members – The meeting was called to order by President Calvin at 6:32 p.m. Also present were Jennifer Maki, Mary Barr, Kathy Grossman, Jennifer Mackie, and Bruce Sherman creating a quorum. William Daugherty was absent. Diane Coelho represented Kingdom Management and nine owners were present.
- Approval of August 16,
2016Meeting Minutes – Bruce motioned to approve the Minutes as presented. Kathy seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
- New Business
- 2017 Budget – Calvin stated that the HOA has not yet received financials from PMSI for the month of September so he was unable to review the income statement. The 2017 budget being reviewed is the exact replica of the 2016 budget. Calvin motioned for a 5% increase in assessments to $158.22 per home to allow the HOA to increase legal fees to improve compliance with Covenants and Restrictions. Mary seconded the motion and it carried unanimously. Calvin motioned to approve the budget with the stated expenses. Mary seconded the motion and it carried unanimously. Diane will confirm the exact number of homeowners.
- Inspection Report – After discussion, Diane was instructed to ignore violations related to fences installed close to the front of the home and violations related to fences that are lower than five feet in height. Several homeowners have had these fences for at least five years and the HOA has lost enforcement rights. Diane will send a courtesy letter to owners who have short fences to remind them to submit an ARC form when it is time to repair the fences. The letter will remind them to replace the fences with six-foot fences so that it is in compliance with the Covenants and Restrictions.
- ARC – After discussion, Diane was instructed not to send violation letters to owners who have repaired their fence without an ARC form. A form is only required if the owner changes the style, material, or location of the fence. Kathy will use the signboard as a reminder to encourage owners to complete ARC requests.
- Violation Process – Calvin motioned to suspend fines effective immediately and to adopt the Kingdom Management process of addressing violations. Diane will send one violation letter to a homeowner. If the owner has not responded to the letter after 21 days, she will send a second letter with a warning that the violation may be addressed by an attorney if ignored. The third letter will be sent by an attorney at a cost of $32-35. Then, the Board will decide whether to mediate. Jennifer seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
- Mediation – Mary motioned to us McCabe Law Group P.A.for mediation cases. Calvin seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
- Architectural Review
- Process – Calvin motioned to adopt a new process for reviewing ARC requests as follows: Each Board member will receive ARC requests via email and must answer the request within seven days. If not answered, the ARC will be considered approved by those nonresponsive Board members. Once Kingdom Management receives the majority of votes, it will process as approved or denied. If there is a tie, Kingdom Management will make tie-breaking vote. ARC requests must be completed within six months after approved or will be considered void. Mary requested that Diane re-inspect homes after approval to ensure owner compliance. Diane responded that she has never trespassed on owner property. If the owner does not give permission to access their property, Calvin will re-inspect the rear yards. Mary seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
- Color Palette – Calvin motioned to approve a new color palette for the community supplied by Sherwin Williams and given to the Board for review. Bruce seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
- 12347 versus 12443 Antler Hill Drive – A lawsuit was initiated against the 12443 and the HOA by 12347. The defendant is now in compliance as he has moved the RV and has agreed to submit an ARC request within 15 days for approval of the fence. The HOA is represented by the insurance company and the insurance company will make all decisions regarding settlement of the lawsuit. The HOA will be responsible for the deductible.
- 4459 and 4567 Blue Stream Lane – The location of the fences will no longer be addressed.
- 12568 Hunter’s Branch Way – The owner has never paid HOA dues and according to attorney Mike McCabe, he is not exempt and will be billed for HOA dues in 2017 and beyond.
- Collections – McCabe Law Group P.A. will continue to be the collections attorney. Calvin motioned to send all owners to collections who are 90 days past due, rather than due for $400 or more. Bruce seconded the motion and it carried unanimously. Mary noted that existing collection accounts will not be affected by the new rule and will continue with the existing collections process. She noted that only nine owners are currently past due.
- Spending Authority – Topic tabled. Mary will replace the light bulbs in the reader board.
- Communications – The HOA President will give all directives to the CAM rather than waiting for a response from all Board members.
- Holiday Lights – We Hang Christmas Lights was used as a vendor last year for Christmas lights. Their bid for 2016 is $1,410.75. After discussion, Kathy motioned to approve the bid if the vendor adds one red bow. Calvin seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
- Minutes – Calvin motioned to allow the CAM to prepare the Minutes to send to the Secretary to review. The Secretary will also send copies of all prior Minutes to the CAM. Kathy seconded the motion and it carried unanimously.
- Board Terms – Calvin motioned that the term limits for two years should be split so that all Board Members are not seated. The topic will be tabled until the next meeting as one owner objected stating that the documents do not allow staggering terms. Diane suggested that the quorum for an election was 10% per the bylaws but Calvin thought the number was 30%. Diane will confirm the requirement.
- Open Forum
- Kathy will handle community yard sale.
- Drones – Jennifer suggested that the bylaws include language about drones to protect owner air space. Jennifer recommended this be on the agenda for the next meeting. Diane will ask Mike McCabe for his opinion.
- Next Meeting – March 9th, Thursday at 7 p.m. at Kingdom Management.
- ARC – Calvin stated that if homeowners already had
approvalof a request but have not completed the request, resubmission is not necessary. Owners can also use a different brand of paint besides Sherwin Williams. He also stated that sheds are allowed but can’t be seen from the street and should be below the fence line.
- Adjournment – With no further business, the meeting adjourned at 8:15 p.m.
Prepared by T. Diane Coelho, Community Association Manager
Recommended for Approval by Bruce Sherman, Secretary